Saturday, May 26, 2007

Happy Birthday to the Duke!

John Wayne was born May 26, 1907… One hundred years ago today! 
John_wayneHe was born in Winterset Iowa.   His birth name was Marion Robert Morrison.  He later changed it to Marion Michael Morrison.  


Wayne appeared in 171 movies, many of which were as an uncredited actor or extra.  The first one being Brown of Harvard (1926) (uncredited) ....  he played a Yale Football Player.  His last film was The Shootist in 1976. 


He also produce twenty films and directed five.


Famous John Wayne Quotes:




  • Speaking to his young cavalry lieutenants: "Don't ever apologize—it's a sign of weakness." (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon)

  • "Fill your hand, you sonofabitch!"  (True Grit)

  • "That'll be the day!" (The Searchers)

  • "I won't be wronged; I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." (The Shootist)

  • Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.

  • Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.   …… Advice on acting

  • I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble.

  • All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else.

  • If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.

  • Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.

  • A man's got to do what a man's got to do.

  • I've had three wives, six children and six grandchildren and I still don't understand women.

  • Get off your horse and drink your milk.

The Official John Wayne website Wayne Enterprises



John Wayne, who died June 11, 1979 of lung cancer, at the age of 72, remains one of America's most beloved celebrities. For the last 10 years, John Wayne has continued to command a top ten spot in the Harris Poll for America's Favorite Movie Star. In 2006, John Wayne held the #3 spot as America's Favorite Movie Star. In addition to an impressive movie career that made John Wayne a popular figure in our American culture, there is also the ongoing commitment to support cancer research that is a vital part of the Wayne legacy.


John Wayne’s Wikipedia entry


John Wayne’s IMDB listing


P.S.  They tell me I was named after John Wayne.

No comments: