Monday, July 17, 2006

The shadow knows... but he won't tell

Corny question:
While on this bike trip to the Field of Dreams we passed what seemed like hundreds of REALLY stinky pig farms and thousands and thousands of acres of corn growing in the fields along the highways.  We kept noticing there were these areas in the cornfields where nothing was growing.  They were almost like little finger shapes (for lack of a better description) … just indentations, maybe as much as 40 feet wide and varying lengths up to possibly a hundred feet in length.  They didn’t go anywhere,  just this finger indentation in the cornfield.  They must have a purpose.  There was no symmetry to them so it’s hard to believe they’re equipment necessary.

Corn fingers.jpg
I took the picture above while riding past one of the thousands of cornfields we passed.   I was actually trying to get a pictures of one of the “fingers”, which you can barely see in the upper part of the photo (two of them in this picture).  Being a city boy, I have little knowledge of cornfield construction, so I just wonder what purpose they serve.   Somebody out there knows.  Please enlighten me, as my shadow won’t divulge the story. 
Photo taken with a Sony DSC T-30 from my Harley Davidson 120 Sportster.  That’s not a little person on the back of my bike but luggage strapped to the backrest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that those are evidence of the giant sprinklers used to water the fields. I grew up in the area, but I'm a city boy.

Anonymous said...

The strips where no corn is planted are called "grass waterways". They are strategically placed according to the topography to help slow down soil erosion when a heavy rain falls on the field. Typically, a variety of grass is used because the fibrous roots hold the soil in place and the dense nature of the grass stems catch the soil particles.

alilbit said...

made by martians called crop fingers